Significance of Akshaya-Tritiya
Akshaya-Tritiya (also known as Akha Teej) is a festival celebrated by Hindus on the third day (Tritiya) of the bright fortnight (Shukla Paksha) in the month of Vaishakha every year. The word ‘Akshay’ means one which is ‘inexhaustible’ or ‘that never diminishes’. Astrologically, this day is considered favorable to start new projects and ventures.
Various spiritual activities like Japa (recitation), Tapa (penance), Daan (Donations), Homa (oblations to fire) etc. are performed on this day and are believed to give multifold eternal benefits.
This year, Akshaya-Tritiya is being celebrated on Tuesday April 26, 2020.
The auspicious day of Akshaya-Tritiya is associated with various historical events:
- On this day, Mother Ganga descended on Earth.
- Lord Parshuram appeared on the Earth.
- Sudama met his childhood friend, Lord Krishna in Dwarka and received unlimited wealth and prosperity.
- Pandavas received the gift of “Akshaya Patra” from Sun-God.
- Srila Vyasdeva began composing the Mahabharata.
- On this day, Kubera received his position as the Lord of Wealth.
- The construction of chariots of Lord Jagannatha, Lord Baladeva and Mata Subhadra, for celebrating annual Ratha Yatra festival at Jagannatha Puri, also begin on this auspicious day.
- In the temple of Kshira-chora Gopinath (Remuna, Orissa), the deities of Madana-mohana, Govinda and Gopinath are smeared with sandalwood paste on this day.
This day also marks the beginning of 21 day Chandan-yatra festival, wherein deities are covered with cooling sandalwood paste, to provide them relief from the scorching heat of summer season.
Our humble advice for your well-being:
Donations made on this day give long standing unlimited results. Donations are of different types. This means that donations given for different charities give different types of results. The highest donation as per the Vedas is donation given for the propagation of spiritual knowledge – Vidya daan. We are giving you an opportunity to participate under our Sangyan program. Under this Sangyan program we give students free of cost our very popular foundation course on Bhagavad Gita known as “Science of Complete Success”. The donation needed to reach each student is Rs 101/-. You can make donations in the multiples of Rs 101/-.